THE INCLUSION OF EDUCATIONAL ADMINISTRATION AND SUPERVISION IN TEACHER EDUCATION CURRICULUM
The improvement of teaching and learning is the general purpose of supervision. A basic premise of administration and supervision is that a teacher’s instructional behavior affects student learning. An examination of instructional behaviors can lead to improvement in teaching and learning.
The effective school research identifies schooling practice and characteristics associated with measurable improvements in student achievement and excellence in student behavior. These “effective school practices” include elements of schooling associated with a clearly defined curriculum; focused classroom instruction and management; firm consistent discipline; close monitoring of student performance; and strong instructional leadership.
The Inclusion of Educational Administration and Supervision in Teacher Education Curriculum
To this end, the teacher education justifies and identifies the following specific purposes of administration and supervision in teacher education curriculum aims:
- To provide proper education to students: This objective seeks to mention the fact that good education doesn’t mean education at a very high cost as is practiced in modern public schools. Rather it means the right type of education from the right type of teachers within reasonable cost. This objective also implies quantitative expansion and qualitative improvement of education.
- To Ensure Adequate Utilization Of All Resources: For adequate realization of the various purposes of educational programme there is the need of ensuring adequate utilization of all available resources-human, material and financial.
- To Ensure Professional Ethics And Professional Development Among Teachers: As teachers are the senior and mature human elements to accelerate the programme in time their role is highly felt in this regard. They are to be encouraged and given the facility to devise and try out innovative ideas on instruction and to participate in service education programmes. In this context, it can be visualized that educational administration should aim at developing a desire for hard work, dedication and commitment for their job among teachers.
- To organize educational programmes for acquainting students with the art of democratic living and giving them excellent training in democratic citizenship.
- To mobilize the community: Like general administration, educational administration seeks to maintain and improve the relations with the community. For this it should seek community support and co-operation for quantitative expansion, qualitative improvements, smooth and fair examination in the educational system.
- To organize co-curricular activities effectively for developing talents of students and work efficiency of educational teachers.
- To get the work done: The most important objective of administration is to get the work done effectively, efficiently and with satisfaction to the individuals and benefits to the society.
- To prepare students for taking their places in various vocations and avenues of life.
- To train the students in developing scientific attitude and objective outlook among them towards all aspects and activities of life.
- To ensure qualitative improvement of education: Good education can be provided to students by bringing qualitative improvement in instruction. Regular supervision of teaching and guidance of teachers help to ensure quality teaching in schools
- Helping the would be teachers (students teachers) to acknowledge that teachers are individuals and professionals with different needs and interests.
- To define supervision as an art and science.
- To consider that taken together, passion for learning and reflective practice provides modeling and the basis for individual perception and insight.
- To maximize individual growth through reflective practice and professional dialog.
- To provide time and support for growth and change.
- To encourage self-initiated professional development.
- To develop an educational environment characterized by collaboration, cooperation, and communicating yielding a supportive, non-threatening environment to foster professional growth.
- To assert that all faculty have a professional responsibility to continually learn and improve.
- distinguish between law and rule;
- written and unwritten law and statutory and customary laws trace the history of education law in Nigeria;
- distinguish between federal and state ministry of education;
- draw the organogram of the federal and state ministry of education;
- explain the functions of the federal and state ministry of education;
- explain the reason why SPEB is needed;
- explain the importance of NUC, NCCE, and NBTE in Nigeria;
- trace the historical development of NUC in Nigeria;
In addition, supervisor has an important role to play in education. Supervision means overseeing the subordinates at work at the factory level. The supervisor is a part of the management team and he holds the designation of first line managers. He is a person who has to perform many functions which helps in achieving productivity. Therefore, supervisor can be called as the only manager who has an important role at execution level. There are certain philosophers who call supervisors as teachers. There are yet some more philosophers who call them as managers. But actually he should be called as a manager or operative manager. His primary job is to manage the teachers at operative level of management.
1. As a Planner – A supervisor has to plan the daily work schedules in the factory. At the same time he has to divide the work to various teachers according to their abilities.
2. As a Manager – It is right to say that a supervisor is a part of the management team of an enterprise. He is, in fact, an operative manager.
3. As a Guide and Leader – A factory supervisor leads the teachers by guiding them the way of perform their daily tasks. In fact, he plays a role of an inspire by telling them.
4. As a Mediator – A Supervisor is called a linking pin between management and teachers. He is the spokesperson of management as well as worker.
5. As an Inspector – An important role of supervisor is to enforce discipline in the factory. For this, the work includes checking progress of work against the time schedule, recording the work performances at regular intervals and reporting the deviations if any from subordinate. He can also frame rules and regulations which have to be followed by teachers during their work.
6. As a Counselor – A supervisor plays the role of a counselor to the worker’s problem. He has to perform this role in order to build good relations and co-operation from teachers. This can be done not only by listening to the grievances but also handling and fix your the grievances to teachers.
Therefore, we can say that effective and efficient supervision helps in improving better work performance, building good human relations, creating a congenial and co-operative environment. This can really helps in increasing productivity.
Supervisor, being the manager in a direct contact with the operatives, has got multifarious function to perform. The objective behind performance of these functions is to bring stability and soundness in the organization which can be secured through increase in profits which is an end result of higher productivity.